viernes, abril 09, 2021

Storytelling

Since I can remember I've had this ability to face a blank paper without feeling intimidated by it. It was like if words were finding their way through me instead of me going after them. But I never saw that as a talent.

I was wrong.

It took me years to understand that writing was an ability that was going to shape not only my career but myself. Now I proudly define myself as a storyteller.

When I came to Canada, and with English as a second language, I thought my journey as a storyteller was over. Was I going to be the one chasing words this time? Because English words seem to escape from me more times than they seem to find me, that's for sure!

Again, I was wrong.

I was hired for a role in which storytelling is crucial. I was excited but afraid of not being able to pull it off.

What I've learned after almost 10 months in my role: writing is not only about finding the right words but rather about staying curious, preparing oneself to ask the right questions, and being an avid researcher and an empathic listener able to create a safe environment for people to be their authentic selves.

English words keep escaping from me but what continues to find me is the ability to sew scraps of information into handmade articles with a common thread.

No hay comentarios.: